NavBar

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The OLA 2014 conference and SSD

I had a great time at the 2014 OLA conference last week, attending informative and thought-provoking sessions, and chatting with colleagues I hadn't seen recently.  SSD sponsored a number of sessions, in addition to a pre-conference.  I was impressed with the two SSD sessions I attended.

The first, "Oral History and Libraries: a Perfect Fit", highlighted Lake Oswego Public Library's "In Their Own Words II" project.  I was impressed at how much they had accomplished, and it really got me to thinking about the importance of capturing oral history.  (Alas, since I was on the conference committee, I had to leave that session early).

The second, "Our First Digital Collection: Starting From Scratch with Nothing", reviewed Multnomah County Library's first digital collection: Central Library: Historic Photographs.  Mostly using tools they already had, great organization, and some in-house crowdsourcing, they were able to get the collection ready for the Central Library's anniversary.  The presenter gave excellent advice about planning and project management.

Major kudos to SSD for providing such great programming!  

Slides for all the OLA session are (or will be soon) available on Northwest Central.

No comments:

Post a Comment